Tuesday 28 October 2008

28 OCTOBER 2008 - Tring Mega

28 OCTOBER 2008

Roy Hargreaves watched a RICHARD'S PIPIT fly SW over Miswell Farm at 0753 hours, just SSE of Wilstone Reservoir

Here is a brief account.

Regards

Roy

Tuesday 28th October started off cloudless and with little or no wind - perfect conditions to record any birds flying over. On my way back from Wilstone Reservoir I was walking past Miswell Farm, at about 7:53am, when I heard a loud, explosive 'schreep' from immediately above my head. I immediately recognised it as Richard's Pipit and looked up to try and see it. It then called off to my right and I looked that way and when it called for the third time I managed to get on to it with my binoculars and watched it fly off, about 10 metres above the ground, to the south-west. It was clearly a large, bulky pipit and its low altitude explained both the loudness of its call and my failure to see it above me.

If accepted it will be the first or second record for Hertfordshire as another heard, but not seen, flying over Garston on 30th September at about 4pm, will also be considered.

No comments: