Thursday 25 October 2012

Today I fancied a walk around Wilstone Res., as I haven't been there for a while. I was unaware of yesteday's report of a black-necked grebe at the site and in fact I was unaware of anything at Wilstone for some time. It turned out to be a pretty good afternon.


15:00 to 17:30:

BLACK-NECKED GREBE
Showing very well along western half of northwest banking.

SCANDINAVIAN ROCK PIPIT
West corner amongst the stones and froth at the water's edge. Not a bird I am used to recognising, but all-over dark olive back with darkish striping over greyish underside, hint of pale supercilium and very dark legs suggested it was not a water pipit.

Northern Pintail - 3
Dozing in east corner. All looked like males in winter garb.

BLACK-TAILED GODWIT
In front of hide. Other birder had brief sight of what he thought may be Redshank, but shortly after he left I found it resting amongst lapwing. General size, black legs, pink and black bill, body colour and wing bars in flight confirmed its identity.

Whooper swan - 2
West corner, then moved to south sector. Presumably the regular 2 feral birds?

European Golden plover - 24
Dropped in during the afternoon. Dozing among lapwing in front of hide.

Brambling - 5
Amongst flock of 50+ chaffinch in corner of ploughed field to the north of the west corner. (My first brambling of the season - I have found none yet in Penn Wood.)

Kevin Holt

1 comment:

wayne bull said...

Looks like a slavonian to me.