Tuesday 27 April 2010

WOOD WARBLER at Frithsden Beeches, Ashridge

A male WOOD WARBLER was singing this morning from the trees about 2 - 300 yards down the wide bridleway (5m +) that goes SE from Brick kiln cottage. grid ref SP996104. After calling Joan Thompson, I stayed on it until about 9.20, when I lost it briefly in the birch tops. I saw something head from the trees over the bridleway towards the cottage - not sure if it was the wood warbler, but didn't hear it again after that. I searched nearby until Joan and Mick arrived then we widened the search area, but by 11.00 odd we gave up. If it wasn't just passing through then it may be worth another look later this afternoon, in case it does start singing again. I only managed one record shot, and had to manually focus due to twigs in the way, so not brilliant.

I spent the morning checking the area between the Berko golf club memorial carpark and the cottage, looking for Tree pipits, but no joy. Heard Tawny owl, and all the usual woodland birds in the copse - nuthatch, coal tit, jay etc. Plenty of Blackcap, Willow warblers, Chiffchaffs, one Yellowhammer, and a Garden Warbler (right by the car park!) - Martin Parr

No comments: