Friday 1 October 2010

RING OUZEL fall

Thursday Morning (30 September)

I started on Steps Hill and Ivinghoe Beacon and it was a very different day to yesterday. Passage over was by no means heavy except for a movement of Skylark, but highlight was 4 RING OUZELS this morning. A real arrival of Song Thrush and a few Redwing.

Ring Ouzels were 1) Over my watchpoint just after sunrise, calling, flew into the fog down the West side of Steps.

2) A single bird in the bushes just beyond the S bend towards the Beacon, but in half an hour watching these bushes I never saw it. At one point I stood Still for 10 minutes after it 'chacked', as soon as I took another step it chacked again, you've got to admire them !

3) + 4, ( male and female ) together in the area of extensive hawthorn and White Beam trees, 300metres North of the car park, I saw the male at about 25ft as I rounded a bush, I nearly bumped into it ! Neil Foster joined me and saw these. They then crossed the path into Beeches and may have left these with other thrushes which moved West towards Income Hole.

Mike Wallen Birding

No comments: