Tuesday 7 December 2010

WAXWING over

This morning it was -4C and the freezing fog didn’t auger well either so I drove down for a change. Apart from 2 male and a female Goldeneye on Startops I couldn’t see the Scaup, but fog may have obscured it. Similarly the fog hampered viewing at Wilstone and I couldn’t find the Goosander seen on the previous two days – two female Goldeneye were the highlights on the unfrozen water. Walking back from the hide to the car though I heard that distinctive delightful trill and looked up to watch a lone WAXWING fly east along the tops of the trees that border the north-west bank. Unfortunately the fog prevent me from confirming that it flew into Bucks but I am sure that it did.

At long last a WAXWING at the reservoirs – taking me up to 157 for this year at the ressies and my third reservoirs tick for 2010. Who knows maybe 1 60 is possible this year!!

Roy Hargreaves

No comments: