Wednesday 25 August 2010

Small fall on the Hills

Startop's Reservoir produced 3 Yellow Wagtails on the Bucks bank and 6 Red-crested Pochard on the reservoir

I then moved onto the hills where a Little Owl roosting on Steps Hill was being mobbed by many tits and warblers, including a Garden Warbler.

Things really hotted up on Ivinghoe Beacon with 2 Northern Wheatear in the rough ( harvested ) field near the sheep pens, then I heard not one but two COMMON REDSTARTS calling to each other on the slope way to the East of the Trig. One of these showed quite well, a first winter male. I sat down with the bird nearby hoping for a pic or two, it then flew towards me and alighted in the dead bush next to me, only 6 ft away, I could hardly breathe let alone turn to look at it. Unfiortunately my camera was attached to my scope so I just enjoyed the magical moment. I didn't see the other bird well enough to age/ sex it, but I think it might have been another 1st wint male.

Next up was a juvenile WHINCHAT and 2 Northerns Wheatears on the Southern slope of the beacon, then another Whinchat ( fem ). One of the Redstarts was now on the fence line and slope nearer the top.

As well as those birds on the ground, diurnal passage migrants were moving overhead with good numbers of hirundines, an amazing 4 TREE PIPITS and 14 Yellow Wagtials (including flock of 7 ) (Mike Wallen)

No comments: